Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ignorance Excused By Pop Savvy ?

Would it shock you to learn that over half of Americans can name Homer Simpson's son, but less than one quarter can tell you the title of a poem by Homer? (hint - he's a old Greek dude)

Is it strange to hear that the same majority can tell you what planet Superman is from, but can't identify Mercury as the closest planet to the sun? (is the planet named after that stuff in the thermometer?)

A recent survey, reported on here by Reuter's says this is all...sadly and pathetically...the case
...and don't get me started on the stats involving over-glorified-karaoke-crap-fest American Idol.

Sure. I can answer most of the pop culture questions the survey inquired about - and I don't feel the least bit embarrassed by that fact. Actually, I'm quite proud of my pop savvy - but certainly that's no excuse for the sheer ignorance of the world around them that respondents to this survey have displayed.

When three quarters of Americans can correctly ID The 3 Stooges...but less than half can tell you what the 3 branches of our own government are - is it any wonder that we find ourselves wondering "What the $#@* ?" so much of the time?

Maybe this is me being an East Coast/New England snob.
Maybe I should stop being such a Masshole.
Maybe...but I don't think so.

See you in the funny pages...

No comments: