Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Sexiest Vowels In "Rock"



Since my sabbatical (unemployment) got underway, I've spent quite a lot of time recommitting myself to those to-do's on a list that had become more like never-get-around-to's while I was working full time. Among these are work on a new cd of original music, a 'finished' screenplay, and fleshing out at least 12 issues of script for a comic I'm working on (anyone know an artist looking to break in?).

Today, let's focus on something related to musical endeavors.

I've been listening to more music lately. Specifically, more of the type of music that up until sabbatical began - I didn't take the time to listen to. Having my background training in classical music makes listening to most of what's on the air these days...painful. Ours is a time where auto-tune has replaced in-tune & where rolling all around a note before crashing down onto it with a constipated look on your face is viewed as "soulful" (thanks American Idol, for propagating this theory).

It's for these reasons that I want to take time for a Rebel Yell shout out to Amy Lee, of the group Evanescence. I wasn't thrilled with their previous albums, and I doubt I'll be amazed by the new one - but I am thoroughly impressed with Ms. Lee.

Her voice is rich and deep, and you can imagine it chanting "Canzonetta Sul'aria" just as easily as it calls out "Call Me When You're Sober". Ms. Lee has almost perfected the art of subtle rolls around key notes, and barely misses a cue to crescendo (no, that's not the same as "louder"). She's also demonstrated that she knows the difference between "Aaaa" and "Aahhh" - something most vocalists have either never learned, or have long since forgotten.

So here's to you, Amy Lee. You've got the sexiest damn vowels in "rock".

See you in the funny pages...

PS - I tried calling Amy the last time I was sober, now I'm not allowed within 200 feet of her.

No comments: