Thursday, September 18, 2008

What's On My Nightstand & A Video

Of late - I've found myself rather taken with the following works of 'literature', and thought I'd share.

"American Shaolin", by Matthew Polly
Wherein a young midwesterner ventures to China in search of skills of self, and self-defense. What's most appealing about this book is the vivid portrait painted of a Chinese life, and of the Chinese impression of an American one.

"Downtown Owl", by Chuck Klosterman
Haven't finished it yet - but my gut tells me that Chuck's characters sound an awful lot like Chuck. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"One Bullet Away", by Nathaniel Fick
This is one of the only military-themed books I've ever picked up. It does not disappoint, and Fick makes even laymen understand what it's like on today's front lines.

____________________________

And now, as promised, video goodness (thanks to Yanni for the tip):

No comments: